Monday 15 April 2013

Euro-spiration Part 5: Nice, France

Yesterday I was unfortunately not very well, and therefore was unable to update with my weekly travel inspiration posts.
Thankfully, today I am back to being fighting fit and have found the energy to complete the post I started drafting yesterday.
Those who have been following for a while will be familiar with the weekly series I have been doing where I post jealousy-inducing images of distant lands where for just a moment you are transported to the location and can feel the breeze, smell the smells and hear the noises of somewhere very different from where you are now. Well, at least that's the effect my posts have on me. I don't know about you guys...
The locations I post about are based on the places I will be visiting with my dear friend over June/July this year, and we are now up to the halfway point (click the 'Travel' tab for my previous posts)
Bienvenue à Nice! Or for those who don't speak French (I cheated and Googled), "Welcome to Nice!"
The heart of the French Riviera, where the Mediterranean water is crystal blue and the chair-filled beaches come at a price (if you prefer not to lay on pebbles). While the city was founded many a year prior, Nice was brought to the attention of aristocrats and the English upper classes in the late 18th century, and a number of families began spending their winters there. The picturesque surroundings also inevitably attracted some of the world's greatest painters, who found inspiration in the clear air and beautiful coastline. Nice was actually established by the ancient Greeks and is one of the oldest human settlements in the world.

Nice is perhaps the only place on our trip where we really have no set plans except to wander around Old Town, lay on the beach and perhaps visit neighbouring towns like Villefranche-sur-Mer or Cap Ferrat and use their beaches for the day.

I'm not quite sure what to expect from Nice, as reports tend to differ depending on who I speak to. Hopefully I'm just pleasantly surprised and can refrain from making too many "Nice is nice" jokes.





































No comments:

Post a Comment